The mailroom has seen a significant transformation over time. Thanks to email, texting, and other digital forms of communication, the volume of incoming and outgoing mail has substantially decreased. Despite all the digital communication that takes place, organizations still receive physical mail such as letters, packages, magazines, documents, banking correspondence, and so much more. There are numerous disadvantages of traditional Mail Room Management.
Typically, mailroom management involves keeping an eye on how physical mail/couriers are distributed and delivered and making sure it gets to the right people. An organization may find a back-end function like administration departments puts lots of effort and manual work is time consuming. This blog will make it easier for you to recognize the drawbacks of using a traditional mailroom at your workplace.
To assist you understand why your organization should convert from a traditional mail room to a digital mailroom management system, let’s look at some disadvantages of a traditional mail room.
Disadvantages of Traditional Mail Room Management
- Time Consuming: Traditional mailrooms are just too labor-intensive. Manual labor is required at every stage of the procedure, including collecting, processing, storing, and distributing the mail. And then there is the huge role of hiring employees so that packages or vital documents can be delivered.
- Costly Process: There may be a standard mailroom system that is less expensive, but acquiring space for physical mail or courier, their records, and stationery costs like paper, ink, and pens can add more expense to the organization’s accounts. Fees for the delivery person can vary according to the distance.
- Complexity: It can be quite challenging and time-consuming to capture and organize all the data linked to delivered or couriered items that have been received. Every time a new package is delivered, it must be physically entered, a record must be added, and the employee must be personally informed. Maintaining those records manually is time-consuming, it takes lots of effort and causes numerous obstacles for operational tasks.
- No Data Security: In manual mailroom processes, lost or misplaced items commonly occur. Important data can get lost or misplaced. Data recorded about packages and couriers, such as who sent the parcel, who received it, what it is about, confidential data, and high security messages. Data can be accessed by anyone and utilized to harm organizations or individuals.
- Communication Gap: Between the sender and the receiver, there is no effective communication. There isn’t any way to receive real-time updates regarding your parcel or courier in traditional mailroom systems.
Traditional mailroom management methods require a significant amount of time, are prone to human error, and reduce employee productivity. Every organization should begin implementing a Modern Mailroom Management System to prevent and minimize this burden.
An organization can save more money by automating numerous downstream processes because of digitizing the mailroom, which also increases mailroom efficiency and lowers the cost of mailroom operations. Businesses of all sizes can achieve their primary goals with mailroom automation while spending less money overall and running less risk.